Sunday, February 13, 2005

A post that should have a really great song reference as the title

Thanks to the lovely Bakerina, I hereby inaugurate Run Cook Write's first-ever meme. And it's a fun one...

What is the total amount of music files on your computer?
As of earlier today, 584 songs. If it weren't for the lovely iPod Darren bought me last year, I don't think I'd have ripped more than a few albums. But with several days' capacity left on the iPod, the ripping has only just begun...

The CD you last bought?
Last night, in a fit of attempted coolness, I bought Modest Mouse's Good News for People Who Love Bad News. Conclusion: I am not cool any more (if I ever was to begin with). Didn't like it much at all, and am currently in search of a 20-something hipster who will take it off my hands. BUT at the same time I picked up the Smiths' Hatful of Hollow, a beloved album from high school that I never bought on CD. And the days of cassettes, my friends, are long over. Listened to it this morning while reading the Times, and it was glorious.

What is the song you last listened to before reading this message?
"Blinded by the Light" by Manfred Mann, on the car radio on the way to go snowshoeing.

Write down 5 songs you often listen to or that mean a lot to you.
Oy, this is hard. I'm going with a combination of sentimental favorites and... sentimental favorites. Here goes:

"I've Got the World on a String," Frank Sinatra.

"Atlantic City," the Springsteen version of Tom Waits' classic.

"Live in the Now," Ellis Paul.

"Hallelujah," the Jeff Buckley version of Leonard Cohen's classic.

"Transit," Richard Shindell.

Who are you going to pass this stick to (3 persons) and why?
I'm sending it along to Ginga, Anita and Meg... curious to know what my friends inside the computer (and one in real life!) listen to.