Sunday, May 07, 2006

Awake

Ugh, this is crummy. I went to bed two hours ago after an evening out -- not one, but two birthday gatherings for friends. Late this afternoon, I started feeling uncomfortable, with a dull ache in my lower left abdomen that would occasionally radiate around to my back, then subside. It's very, very localized -- definitely not a contraction of any kind. And perhaps this is too much information (but I am too groggy to care): I've had achiness before in this spot when I've had the joy of experiencing pregnancy-related constipation, though that would not seem to be the problem right now. So when D asked me if I wanted to stay home tonight, I said yes -- but that I wasn't going to.

Sure enough, going out distracted me from the discomfort. We got home about 10, and I was in bed reading by 10:30. And the pain, she is back. I slept for a while, then woke up about half an hour ago, uncomfortable but not in agony. Going to the bathroom does not help. But going back upstairs, far from the bathroom in a queen-sized bed that seems far too small, is not an option.

Dr. Google has little to say, although I'm certainly glad I'm not in the first trimester, when lower left abdominal pain would be a sign of an ectopic pregnancy, which is clearly not the issue now. I am debating calling my doctor, which would involve waking the midwife on call... which seems silly for something that is probably just intestinal. I can feel the baby moving (another factor making it difficult to sleep) so I think everything is fine.

So I think I am headed to the guest bed, with a glass of water and the latest New Yorker. I would really like the discomfort to ease so I can get some sleep....