Sunday, December 04, 2005

On the couch

So here I sit in the living room, typing this entry on my swanky new laptop and using some neighbor's wireless connection to get online. (That last bit freaks me out a little; I'll feel better once my own wireless network gets set up -- and encrypted -- next weekend.)

I'm still feeling generally crummy; thus the lack of updating. I had a morning sickness low point on Friday, when I had to pull over on the side of the road on the way to work in order to throw up. Thank jebus I had forseen this occasion, and my car was well stocked with plastic bags (though not, unfortunately, with tissues and/or napkins, a situation that has since been rectified). That was miserable. I was parked illegally on a well-traveled road through a park; since it's the approach to the interstate, it was full of commuters. Though I was parked fairly far back from the traffic light, I thought I'd be safe from traffic backing up next to my car... but that was not to be. At least I didn't get interrupted by a cop or a nosy commuter. Still, it was awful.

And then I went to work.

The last day of the first trimester is Thursday. My last day of work is Friday. I am trying very hard not to count on the nausea and vomiting to automatically lift when I wake up Friday morning, but it sure would be nice... In the meantime, I'm continuing on my vomit-once-a-day schedule, which seems to be unaffected by either the B-6 or the anti-nausea meds that completely knock me out anyway.

Other stuff... I've been meaning to post about the Linda Hirshman article that everyone's up in arms about; it tells you something about my lack of brainpower these days that it took me a few days of reading all the back-and-forth about her theories on women and work and feminism to realize that I am absolutely in the midst of one of those changes -- leaving full-time work for a part-time job, at least in part because of the baby on the way -- that she finds abhorrent. I need to gather my thoughts about that; at the moment, all I have is incoherent angst.

On a more domestic note (oh, the irony of that segue), the work on the bedroom is done. Darren has done an absolutely amazing job. I'd post pictures, but I haven't taken any, and with the latest round of paint smells up there sending me running for the bathroom a few hours ago, I don't think I'm taking any soon. We bought one rug yesterday and have to buy another today; once we've got that done, we can get going on the big move back into the room. It's going to be a bit like a chess game, as we move the couch from the living room into the bedroom, which creates a cascade of other moves, as does the need for me to set up the home office in a way that's conducive to daily work there, as opposed to a couple hours here and there. All of which also requires the purchasing of things, which stresses me out a wee bit due to the small fact that I am going to be virtually unemployed for the next three weeks.

Ok, enough of the miscellaneous angst. My in-laws just called to say they're dropping by with lunch and Darren's birthday present -- he turned 34 on Friday, which we celebrated in spectacularly unexciting fashion by watching 40 minutes of Mr & Mrs Smith (verdict: not as bad as you'd think, especially if you're in the mood for something light and full of cartoonish violence as enacted by very pretty people) and then falling asleep on the couch at 10 pm -- so I ought to get off my butt and attempt to straighten up this house.