Saturday, December 02, 2006


Today D turns 35. So last night I threw him a surprise party that was incredibly successful. I'd been plotting and planning for weeks... all of which was thrown into chaos when it turned out that he took yesterday off instead of working until 5 as originally planned. But my brother-in-law heroically offered to take him out for a couple beers, so my in-laws and my sister and I were able to get the house in order with plenty of time to spare. Bizarrely so, in fact, because even though I had only an hour between when he left and when guests were to arrive, we ended up standing around with nothing to do for 20 minutes.

In any case, D was thrilled with the surprise; he says he's still kind of wired from it today. It doesn't hurt that far-flung friends have been calling to say hello since last night; right now D is on the phone with one of the kids (who is now probably in his late 20s) we used to work with when we lived in the southwest. And if my advance information is correct, the phone will continue to ring all day, and the e-mails will keep pouring in. It's so much fun to watch; we've been fairly isolated from all but a few people since Ess was born, and lately that has really been getting D down. So it's very cool to reconnect with people, and to see the pleasure he's getting out of it. He totally deserves it.

Tonight, my in-laws are babysitting and D and I are going out to a fancy restaurant by ourselves. This is financially ill-advised (though not ruinous by any means), but I'm taking advantage of the opportunity to treat ourselves. Frankly, I'm also glad that D's parents will be dealing with little Ess after bedtime... I will have to fill you in on the latest in the sleep saga when I feel a little better about it all.

In any case, half a year of parenthood has certainly had its ups and downs, and created a certain amount of stress in our relationship. So it feels so good to be able to do something nice for D, and to see him enjoy it so thoroughly.

On top of all that, we've got a fridge full of beer, more wine than we started out with and a bunch of leftover chili (sadly, my sister's stuffed shells were so popular that I never even got a bit before they vanished). It's sunny (if windy) here, and Ess has been napping for almost two hours. All in all, a very good day.