Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Falling apart

Physically, that is. Well, perhaps mentally a bit, too.

Last night Ess was back to her recent sleepways -- two hours, from 10 to midnight, in which she wouldn't go all the way back to sleep but wasn't fully awake, either, just an unhappy, tossing-and-turning, whimpering little girl. She came in bed with me, D went to the guestroom, and she woke in her unsettled fashion every hour until the wee hours. She and D went off to his weekly staff meeting and I gave myself permission to go back to sleep, even though my workday was due to start at 8 and it was already 7:45. I figured I'd sleep for an hour or so, then get up and do my work. I'm the only one on the magazine staff working today, so why not take advantage, right?

I woke up at 10, bleary-eyed, disoriented, starving and grumpy. Oh, and did I mention still congested and coughing? In the shower, I spent some time aiming hot water at this really irritating red, infected lump that appeared under my right arm the other night. I think it's just an ingrown hair follicle, but it is sore and gross, and its location, right on the edge of the armpit region, is slightly concerning. My one consolation: I had an appointment with my ob/gyn this afternoon for a pap, so I figured she could take a quick look at it and let me know whether it seemed odd to her.

So I muddled through the first 300 words of my story, frittering away time here and there, and then headed off to the ob. Wouldn't you know it, the bridge was up. So I sat there, watching the minutes tick by as an oil tanker headed out to sea, and my cell phone rang. The ob had to go deliver a baby, so can they reschedule me for two weeks from now? Of course they can... and there goes my sanity check on whether I should be worried about this arm thing.

After a quick trip to the grocery store for pie supplies, I am back at my desk. D is collapsed on the couch, Ess is napping and - damn - I've got to get pizza dough going in the breadmaker for dinner tonight. And somewhere in there I need to finish this fireplacing story; otherwise, it will be one more weekend involving work for me, and that's something I'd really like to avoid. But my immune system is apparently shot, my brain is working half-strength at best and I am totally unmotivated. Fun times.

I promise, I will be thankful tomorrow. Today, though, I am all about teh whine.