Sunday, November 19, 2006

No sleep for the weary

Holy crap, am I exhausted. I have no idea what's going on with Ess' sleep habits, but they have totally gone to hell in the last couple days. As she was recuperating from her cold, she went back to what's been the latest schedule: up 3x in the night. But Friday night and last night, she was up every couple hours. So she is nursing every 2-3 hours around the clock. I feel like I can't catch up; even with a nap during the day, I am getting seriously sleep-deprived. My cold just keeps getting worse and I feel frickin' horrendous.

Last night, when it was midnight and she was already up for the second time, I brought her into bed with us. D went to the guest room when she woke up at 3:30 (after three hours of sleep in a row - these days, that's something to shout about), and Ess and I muddled through the rest of the night on our own. Several times she sort of half woke up -- eyes closed, but crying and tossing and turning. Wouldn't take the pacifier, but would consent to being nursed back to sleep.

And then Jelly started barking. And barking. And barking. I kept waiting for D to get up and take care of her -- he's a very light sleeper and was just a few rooms away from her. But that didn't happen. Ess woke up from the barking, and I managed to get her back to sleep. And then Jelly barked some more. Eventually Ess woke up for good, and the two of us came downstairs to release Jelly from her kitchen prison.

I wish I knew what was up with the constant nursing. She doesn't seem to be teething, and she's been able to spend a fair amount of time with me during the day. The only thing I can think of is that my supply is low due to my cold; I didn't get very much when I pumped last night, so perhaps that's the problem. So I'm drinking Mother's Milk tea and eating oats (ooh, maybe I'll make oatmeal raisin cookies this afternoon...) in hopes of bringing it back up. But the other possibility is that this is developmental; she's close to the 26-week leap described in the Wonder Weeks, and sleep disruptions are one of the many fun and enjoyable signs that the leap is imminent.

In any case, D and his dad are going to the movies this afternoon, and we decided that he should take Ess along; his mom will babysit so I can get my freelance assignment done. They'll be gone for four or five hours, so I'm hoping that I can finish my work relatively quickly and spend the rest of my alone time sound asleep.