Monday, December 04, 2006

Attack of the gerunds, Monday edition

Craving: Sleep, glorious sleep. We are using the Sleep Method That Shall Not Be Named, and while we are seeing some progress, it is exhausting in the process. I got two, two-and-a-half hour chunks of sleep last night, which is simply not enough. And then settled down to nap when Ess did this afternoon, and instead of the hour or more she's been napping lately, she was down for 35 minutes... which D called in the middle of. She's now down again -- after just an hour and a quarter -- and I've decided to not even bother trying to sleep. Here's hoping that tonight we see some improvement...

Regretting: The hasty decision I made about which photo to use for our Christmas cards. A friend shot the photos and then uploaded them to the Blodak Gallery... which meant I couldn't download them myself and apply the limited amount of Photoshop magic I know. So I picked one quickly that night and submitted the order. Since then, I've looked at the shots online a number of times, and there's one I like a lot better -- there is actually light on our faces, we look happy, and even though Ess isn't looking at the camera, you can see her face and her adorable Swedish Childrensson dress (Jennie, it's the one I sent you). But the prints of the other shot arrived over the weekend, and we will make do. Apparently I am not alone in experiencing this phenomenon this year...

Wondering: Where the hell my Christmas spirit has gone to. I suspect its absence has something to do with gerund the first, but it's tough. Ess and I went out to do a few things this morning, including a quick trip to my favorite kitchen store to get a decent knife for my dad, who's admired our chef's knife a few times. Christmas carols were playing in the store, which was full of people bustling around with their shopping lists, and it just did absolutely nothing for me. I don't typically go nuts for the holidays, but I like them... and this year I feel nada so far. But maybe that will change once we get the decorations out and buy the tree next weekend.

Anticipating: A visit from a high school friend who has lived on the west coast for the last several years. She doesn't get back east very often -- I think the last time was four years ago -- and we aren't great at keeping in touch in between. But we always connect really well when we do see each other. She's going to stay with us the weekend after next, and I can't wait to introduce her to Ess and talk to her about motherhood (her son is nine already!).

Gazing: Upon our new, 27-inch flat-screen TV, which was my parents' and grandparents' combination birthday and Christmas gift to D. I didn't much care that since our old TV had broken we were watching a small screen, but my husband the movie buff has practically been in physical pain. We inaugurated it with a viewing of Clerks II over the weekend; while I am a huge Kevin Smith fan, I've gotta say that this one was underwhelming. And, yes, I am enjoying the new, bigger TV... although it does sort of dominate the living room now.

Hearing: A wee girl waking from her nap, so thus endeth the gerunds for today. Blogger's being wonky, so I'll come back and add links later, presuming this even posts in the first place...