Sunday, February 19, 2006

When bloggers invade your dreams

This is slightly embarrassing, since I don't "know" the bloggers in question, but I have to tell you about the oddball dream I had this morning, in the deep-sleeping hours between when Darren got up at 5 to go to the bathroom and when we finally rolled out of bed at 7:30 or so.

Unsurprisingly, given the number of academic-ish blogs I read, this dream took place on some sort of school campus. For some reason, I was entrusted with a laptop belonging to Geeky Mom (whom I've been meaning to add to my blogroll); it was an iBook, suspiciously similar to the one I use for work. So I carried it around in a messenger-style bag for a while, until I went to an apparently co-ed bathroom and set the bag down on the floor.

This is where it starts to get really odd.

Scrivener was in the stall next to me, and took this opportunity to try to steal the bag, I think because it contained some research he was interested in? We played tug-of-war under the stall divider for the bag, and ultimately I ended up with it.

Later, though, I opened the bag and could not find the laptop, which was very distressing. I went to some sort of meeting (I suspect the rest of the attendees were other bloggers, but I'm not sure on that point) and let people know that the laptop was missing. No one had seen it, but someone did let me know that they'd been in some sort of seminar with Laura, and that she knew the computer was missing and was running out to throw up every hour or so, since the laptop contained all the information for her dissertation. (Apparently, since my life has become much less stressful with my new job, I am now taking on the stress of people I don't even know?? Paging Dr. Freud...) (Also, note to self: Back up computer files.)

In the end, after much searching and a fruitless attempt to e-mail Scrivener in case he had somehow gotten the laptop after all, I searched my bag again and found the computer in a well-hidden middle compartment, and all was well.

I have no idea what this dream means, other than perhaps it reflects the time I spent online yesterday searching for a diaper bag for my registry (stupid Amazon -- that'll be the subject of another post...) that isn't splattered with Care Bears or Winnie the Pooh. (I ended up registering for this one; anyone with a better recommendation that you can actually add to an Amazon registry, leave a note in comments.) Laura and Scriv, thanks for your guest-starring roles, and I hope you're not too traumatized by appearing in a complete stranger's early-morning hallucinations...