Sunday, October 15, 2006

Genius parenting moment #513

Buy the space heater but decide it's really not that cold and leave it turned off. React with surprise when the baby wakes at 10:30, 2:30 and 4:something. Bring her into bed with you, where she sleeps contentendly next to your warm body until 7:45.

************

D. is out buying a smoke detector to combat my paranoia about Ess' room catching on fire from the space heater, which I swear to gawd we are going to turn on tonight. And I am drinking a tiny Coke, trying to get the brain cells firing in order to write the freelance piece due this week. It is short and relatively straightforward, but when I try to write the few words that come out are stilted and short. It's as though I've lost my ability to think complex (or even multi-syllabic) thoughts.

************

We have no one to watch the dogs next weekend when we take Ess to NJ to see my parents. Well, we might be able to talk my in-laws into taking Rocky, who is good and easy. But they clearly do not want to do it. And even though they said they would if we couldn't find anyone else, I don't want to impose. So we may be traveling 400 miles with a baby, a neurotic shih tzu and an incontinent, senile mutt. Shoot me now.

************

I think there was one more thing I wanted to say, but beats me what it might be.