Friday, September 08, 2006

Open the window, I'm venting

There's a little something I need to get off my chest that I am trying mightily to avoid expressing to my fabulous husband. So pardon me while I vent away here...

His parents did not acknowledge my birthday in any way. And this pisses me off.

There is a certain amount of thoughtfulness that seems to be missing on that side of the family. For example, when I was not eating dairy, my MIL would show up at my house with baked goods. I would politely ask if they contained butter, and she invariably would say yes. I would say, "oh" and not eat any. D even added, "You know mc can't eat dairy these days, right?" At one point she vaguely mentioned something about trying to look into recipes that didn't use butter, but that was that.

Meanwhile, my sister's husband on his own concocted a dairy-free banana bread recipe, and baked loaves for me several times over the summer. And he tracked down a really good dairy-free orange cake recipe (it's in the Joy of Cooking, if you're interested) and made that every time we got together. Friends made a point to drop off soy ice cream, or to make a salad with goat cheese instead of cheddar. So I don't feel like it was asking all that much that my MIL put a little effort into this.

And then the fact that they totally skipped my birthday -- which was nearly two months ago, so I've been holding on to this for a while now -- really irritated me.

The crazy thing is that they're not good gift-givers at all, so it's not like I'm missing out on some fantastic present. But I'm hurt that my birthday -- which has always been acknowledged in the past -- just slid by without so much as a phone call or a card. I really don't want to mention this to D, because he is extremely sensitive about any displeasure of mine related to his family. And I don't want to act like a whiny child who didn't get a present. But I really needed to express these feelings in the hopes that I can just get over it already. So here's hoping that the act of blogging it is enough.

Baby-related content to return any day now, I promise...