Friday, April 14, 2006

I'm looooonely

Boy, the Internets are quiet today, huh? I guess all y'all are celebrating Passover and the approach of Easter and stuff, but me? I'm just sitting here working. Well, procrastinating, to be precise. Working on two assignments at once, which is fine, but the problem is that the entire rest of the world seems to be taking the day off, and thus I have not received one return phone call. Meanwhile, I am such a lapsed Catholic that not only am I not observing Good Friday (or its preceding or succeeding holy days), but I will be having meat (fabulous bacon, to be precise) for lunch. Gates of hell, here I come.

In the meantime, I am trying to write one story without having interviewed anyone. The editor with whom I work suggested this approach -- drafting the piece first, then filling in the quotes later -- and I'm finding it very difficult so far. I'm so mired in my own process, which involves having all the info first, then writing the story. Sure, I can stick an occasional "TK" (shorthand for "to come") in my copy, but to write the whole story with TKs? That is tough. But it's a good exercise, and so I shall return to it. Either that or continue dispiritedly blogsurfing whilst awaiting my 1:45 lunch date with a pal.