Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Accomplished: Day one

I made it. Despite throwing up at 6:30 this morning, despite the realization on the drive up here that the skirt I wore three days ago to our New Year's Eve outing no longer fits, despite the fact that a stupid dump truck ahead of me on a two-lane road made me late -- despite all of that, I survived my first day at the new job.

About that job, I will say little, other than that the people are very nice and, most importantly, that I have an office. With a window. And a door. That I can close.

I haven't closed it yet, but I could if I wanted to. And the window? I could open it if I wanted. So there.

Needless to say, my new co-workers are a little befuddled by my gratitude for what they take for granted. But they were very nice about their befuddlement.

Now, I am exhausted and parched from the stupid overly dry hotel heat, and I keep stopping typing to look at the belly that, sometime in the last two days, sprouted. Instead, what I need to do is read my silly book and go to sleep in this giant king-sized bed. I have to be at work at 8 tomorrow, which means the alarm is set for 6:45 in order to allow time for any a.m. nausea to pass... and to allow time for two breakfasts and the packing of many, many snacks.

Good god, pregnancy makes a girl high maintenance.