Sunday, March 20, 2005

An exciting turn of events

It's been a bit of a whirlwind around here for the last couple weeks, and it shows no signs of stopping. Friday night we went to see the house my sister and her boyfriend had closed on that afternoon -- it's about 1.5 miles away from our place, and we've been really excited that they have decided to stay not only in Maine, but so close to us.

They gave us the tour of their cute little house, and as we were standing in the finished basement, debating where they'd put the TV, my sister quietly said, "P. proposed tonight." And so the excitement continues -- he is a great guy, and I am so thrilled that they've decided to get married. (He popped the question as they were standing outside the house, fumbling with the keys to open it for the first time.) We were really honored to have pizza (again!) and Asti Spumante with them in the empty house that night.

Then yesterday we helped run a gigantic rummage sale fundraiser for our friend D. The event turned out really well - we made nearly $1,900! - but it was a huge and exhausting amount of work. I spent the morning and late afternoon lugging things around, and the middle part of the day trying to convince bargain hunters that we weren't interested in haggling, since we were trying to raise money for a wheelchair lift. I was really irritated by the hagglers, but they were offset by a couple extremely generous people -- one guy bought two CDs, and gave us $40.

Other things... There is a long thread over at Tertia's about why people wanted to have kids. I've been pondering this a lot more lately (more indecision has reared its head) and want to write about it at some point soon. And I'm hoping to get cooking, literally, again. It's been takeout city here, and we need to get back on track. It's hard to do so when I look at this week's calendar and realize that we have plans Weds., Thurs., Fri. and Sat. nights. And I'm hoping to blog more during the week. I've noticed that a lot of my fave bloggers have slowed down recently... perhaps we're all enticed by the approaching spring...