Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Five idiosyncracies

Songbird tapped me for this meme a couple days ago, and it's a good thing. There's more stuff going on that I am not at liberty to blog about... and so of course it's all I can think about writing. Times like these are when the meme-y goodness comes in handy, though it's going to be challenging to limit the list to five. Here goes:

1. I am an irrepressible gossip. Not necessarily in a bad way, though in my low moments it is. I prefer to think of it as sharing what I know. I like keeping people posted about what's going on with me and with other people we know. Over the years, this habit has created some great friendships between people I know who didn't start out knowing each other; they heard stories about each other from me, then had plenty to talk about when they finally met in person. (R. in Virginia and S. in New Jersey(!), that means you.) At work, though, it means I can't keep my damn mouth shut about whatever I happen to be thinking at the moment... particularly if I am dealing with a poorly written story by a freelancer. I think karma will probably catch up with me on this one should the Big Plan occur as scheduled.

2. I frequently choke, in an apparently loud and alarming fashion, while doing nothing more than attempting to swallow water or coffee. Said choking, which often occurs while I am reading or otherwise occupied and thus apparently not paying full attention to my swallowing, typically causes others to gasp in alarm and yell, "Are you ok?" Except for Darren. By this point -- six years of marriage, several more of togetherness -- he is totally unfazed by my wheezing and hacking. Which sometimes causes our friends to think he is heartless as he sits there completely ignoring me. I see it, however, as true understanding.

3. I have a hard time sitting still and doing nothing. I am quite accomplished at sitting still and reading, or sitting still and crocheting (speaking of which, I have got to get going on Christmas presents...). But I am lousy at just sitting and thinking, or staring off into space. Even if I put it on my to-do list, I fear it would not get accomplished. (That was a little joke for my fellow Type A's out there.)

4. When I get back in bed after the middle of the night trip to the bathroom, I have to sleep with the pillow over my face. I guess it's a vain attempt to keep morning from arriving, but I'm not sure.

5. I love -- I mean L. O. V. E. -- The OC. It is shallow and silly and almost literally sophomoric, yet I am totally wrapped up in it. I have a dumb fangirl crush on Adam Brody (which, thank you, is not illegal). I have regularly scheduled viewing parties with a small -- really small -- group of friends, during which no one is allowed to talk while the show is on. I have been known to get a little teary-eyed during particularly melodramatic moments. And I own at least one of the "Music from The OC" albums.

Phew. That was like confession, yet without the absolution. I'm not sure who's reading the site these days, so I'll pass this one along to Angry Pregnant Lawyer, Ginga, Carter, Anita and Phantom Scribbler. Anyone else who wants in, go for it.