Tuesday, July 20, 2004

The first one

So, this is the first post in my new blog. I s'pose this is the part where I'm supposed to explain the name, right? "RunningCookingWriting" = Three things I like to do, in the opposite order in which they tend to actually take place. I edit a business newspaper, so the writing part pretty much takes care of itself every day (though the whole point of this here blog is to actually write for myself once in a while).
 
The cooking... most days it's something I love - a way to relax, with a glass of wine and NPR, after a day at work. Yoga works for a lot of people, but for me chopping vegetables, sauteing onions, pulling together a decent meal -- that's relaxation. Harried work life -- and a bunch of decent takeout places nearby -- means that I don't do it as often as I'd like. (Not to mention the occasions on which I come home and am pissed beyond belief that D., my mostly fabulous husband, has not miraculously intuited that tonight I don't want to cook - I want to sit on the couch like a zombie and read last week's Entertainment Weekly while he putters around in the kitchen.)
 
As for the running, "like" may not have been exactly the right word for it. I feel great when I'm done... something I wish I could remember - and act on - more frequently. Got a 10K coming up in - how 'bout that - 10 days. And in no way am I prepared. You should not interpret this to mean that I am a competitive runner worried about setting a personal record (a PR, to real runners). Nope, I'm just wondering whether I can complete the course in a quasi-respectable time that bears some resemblance to what I ran last year, when I actually followed the training calendar on the fridge. This year it's just hanging there, lonely, without a mark on it for the last few weeks. Egads.
 
The mostly fabulous husband and I are scheduled to run before work tomorrow morning. I wouldn't hold my breath on that one if I were you.
 
Will they? Won't they?
 
More scintillating details to come in the days ahead.